SEAoME Service Overview
State Estimate and Forecast of Marine Environments
- Time variation of 3-dimensional physical oceanographic variables is calculated using numerical ocean models.
Time variation of physical oceanographic variables (temperature [T], salinity [S], velocity [U and V], sea surface height [SSH]) are governed by the fluid dynamics on the rotating sphere.
Basic equations are follows:
- momentum equation.
- advection-dissipation equations.
- equation of state for sea water.
Ocean general circulation model (OGSM) is a set of discretized form of these equations solvable numerically by computers.
- SEAoME provides fully 3-dimensional estimate and forecast of marine environments. For example, SEAoME can …
- reconstruct physical environments in the past at any points.
- predict physical environment at any points for several days to months ahead.
SEAoME can provide model guidance useful for fishery operation, management of aquaculture products, emergency response for maritime accidents based on estimated or forecasted marine environments, for example …
- alert for strong current (Kyucho).
- tidal current information for non-international coastal trading vessels.
- temperature management at aquaculture farms.
- distribution of low oxygen waters.
- estimate of the origin of larva or spawn.
- prediction of oil spill drift.
Basin wide : Mesoscale resolving information
Off Coast : Submesoscale permitting information
Coastal information :
|Name||Horizontal resolution [deg.]||Forecast period|
Atmospheric state estimate and prediction
NCEP GDAS and GFS surface flux data in model grid
MRI.COM ocean general circulation model (OGCM) developed by Meteorological Research institute, Japan Meteorological Agency (MRI/JMA).